Thursday, September 29, 2005

Some days, I don't want to admit I'm a Jacket

There a lively discussion going on over at The Hive today about a caller on Chan Gailey's coaches show today.

It's one thing to be frustrated with a bad loss, to be unhappy because the program is only ranked in the bottom half of the Top 25, and not the top. To question recruiting this year, etc. It's a whole different ball of wax to call the coach and ask:

"How many more embarassing losses do we have to endure with you?"

This is an element of the GT fanbase that I don't want, and wish we could get rid of. We do not need the loudmouth redneck trash that UGA attracts - heck, that's one of the reason so many of us are proud of the Institute. It's a sad day when I'm more disturbed by my fellow fans than I am by my biggest rivals fan's. I have a better question for that caller:

"How many more embarassing calls do we have to endure with you?"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. I couldn't agree with you more. How embarrasing of that caller. Like Chan or not, you should show some class and treat him with respect.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

As much as we want to win every game, it is important to realise the fact that the other guys are wanting the same thing. If we are happy with the big picture of where the program is going, I hope we can see the losses as part of the competitive give and take with other schools. Nobody wins them all. I thought our guys played well in the 1st half, in spite of the score. The 2nd half got unglued a bit, but the D still turned in a decent game. I don't like losing 51-7 either, but it is not right to gripe about every loss or blown assignment or recruiting disappointment.

That said, I am still worried that Gailey does have that "something" we need to be truly successful. When I see his outfront Christian persona, I am pleased for what that means for the kids we get into the program, but I wonder if it turns some people off. You do not have to be a born again Christian to be a good person, and I wonder if that standard is used by the other schools to scare some kids away from Tech.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

*does not have the "something"

6:24 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

I don't know about the religious angle - Bobby Bowden is pretty upfront "awshucks" about his faith, etc.

Gailey is boring, and I think that's what people have an issue with. He's kind, well spoken, and boring. And he's very "NFL" about his preperation and relations with people. There's a reason the NFL is known as the No Fun League - he epitomizes it.

We'll see - winning cures a lot of ills, and an 8 or 9 win season, especially if we beat UGA, will quiet a lot of this. If it's 7-4 or 6-5 again though, it's going to be an ugly offseason.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home