Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Family Conflict

I've mentioned it on this site before, but my father, mother, grandfather and great uncle are all pround alumni of UNC - heck, my grandparents retired to Chapel Hill. The whole "I'm a Tarheel born, I'm a Tarheel bred and when I die I'm a Tarheel dead" thing was a big part of my early life experience. I've been to a number of games in the Dean Dome, and been to the UNC campus more times than I can count - and while I cheer for GT sports, there will always be a part of me that likes to see UNC do well.

I have to lay that framework out, because it directly effects this story. My younger sister is 6'2" and one of the top junior volleyball players in the southeast - she's being recruited by most of the southeastern schools as well as several national powers like Minnesota. Her mother played D-1 volleyball, and her older sister was a good player as well, so to play as a young girl she had to learn to set and play the back row, which has led to her having a tremendous all-around skillset for someone with her heigth and athleticism. The UNC coaching staff has taken a pretty high level of interest in her for a while, and last week invited my family up to visit the campus and offered them tickets to the Duke @ UNC game last night as a bonus while they were up there.

Under normal situations that would be a no brainer, with my dad being a huge fan and all (he was at the Walter Davis game as a student, etc) - but he had a business trip and they ended up postponing the visit until UNC's next home game. I talked to him last night as he watched game from his hotel room and he didn't even know who the opponent would be - I looked it up this morning and of course ... it's the Georgia Tech game. I won't hear the end of it for a week if UNC wins, especially after last year's ACC tournament win. Ugh.

(Yeah, she's a way better athlete than me)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home