Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Barkley on SEC "Ethics"


On TNT last night during their NBA coverage, Charles Barkley (Auburn alumn) interviewed Dirk Nowitski and then had this exchange:

Charles Barkley: "I took some good players over to Europe to play, and he dropped 50 on us.... so I ask him 'How old are you' and he says '19' so I tell him 'I'll give you any amount of money in the world if you go to Auburn"

Kenny Smith: "Isn't that cheating?"

Charles Barkley: "We're in the SEC, if you aren't cheatin, you ain't tryin. We got Alabama, Georgia, Florida"

I love Charles, he's one of the best commentators in all of sports television right now - and I doubt he really offered a bunch of cash to Nowitski, but can you even imagine that joke working with any conference other than the SEC? It's almost like it's a badge of pride that so much cash has changed so many hands over the years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Astronaut Mike Dexter said...

Pretty holier-than-thou talk coming from a school who recently had entire years' worth of football records wiped out from using ineligible athletes.

Yeah, cheap shot, I know, I know.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's Afraid of a Large Black Man? Evidently Auburn's athletic department should be...Hopefully they can laugh off any impending investigations due to the source of this report. If only Barkley's golf score and IQ were commensurate.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home