How Quickly it Can Change
It's funny to laugh about Marcus Vick ... but he's with the Dolphins right now, so I guess his legal situations haven't totally ruined his life yet. For others, it doesn't always work out so well.
Keith Brumbaugh was a stud wing forward from Deland, FL who was ranked #11 in the '05 class (RSCI). He declared for the NBA draft, but ended up withdrawing and signing a scholarship with Oklahoma State. After an injury, elgibility questions and a shoplifting incident he left Oklahoma State in December of last year after never playing a minute for OSU.
It's just gone downhill from there, ending yesterday with an arrest for "fleeing and eluding an officer, which is a felony, and resisting arrest without violence, a misdemeanor" (LINK). In the car Brumbaugh had been driving it became more interesting:
In their abandoned car was a Bushmaster brand automatic rifle with about 56 rounds in the magazine, according to the sheriff's report. Volusia County deputies said they also found an electric weapon, a knife and several hundred rounds of ammunition.Now, most people don't drive around with this in their backseat loaded with 50+ live rounds and clothing to impersonate police officers with ... but I guess it could be one heck of a costume party he was headed to.
Also in the car was a black shirt with the word "Police" on it, as well as a silver badge sporting the words: "Private Investigator."
Keith Brumbaugh Timeline:
- FEB. 18, 2005: Plays in his final high school game for DeLand.
- APRIL 8, 2005: Receives the Dairy Farmers Mr. Basketball award.
- APRIL 16, 2005: Plays in the Michael Jordan Classic in Madison Square Garden, New York.
- MAY 12, 2005: Announces he'll enter NBA Draft.
- June 20, 2005: Withdraws name from consideration for NBA Draft.
- JULY 20, 2005: Announces he will play at Oklahoma State.
- Aug. 20, 2005: Charged with shoplifting at a Stillwater, Okla., Wal-Mart.
- NOVEMBER 2005: NCAA requires Brumbaugh to retake the ACT; he does not get a high enough score to be eligible.
- DECEMBER 2005: Withdraws from Oklahoma State without ever stepping on the court.
- MAY 20, 2006: Is charged by Volusia County Sheriffs Office with fleeing and eluding officers and resisting arrest without violence.